The following properties and district were recently listed in the National Register of Historic Places:
* Darcelle XV – . Located in downtown Portland, the drag venue Darcelle XV is nationally significant for its role in gaining acceptance for drag and gay rights and as a safe place that anchored the LGBTQ community far beyond the reach of any LGBTQ bar. Darcelle XV was well-known on the west coast starting as early as 1968 and was able to consistently pull in a mixed gay and straight audience starting in about 1970. The nightclub held drag pageants and competitions which drew participants from all over the United States. By the early 1970s, Darcelle XV was a well-known powerhouse of drag support and sponsorship on the west coast and that impact continues through today as Darcelle continues to perform. The listing of this property is in line with Oregon’s Statewide Preservation Plan that seeks to diversify the resources listed in the National Register and continue to tell the stories and uplift the voices of those previously marginalized. By including more voices in the stories told of Oregon’s past, Oregonians can think critically about history and work to accurately depict a more complete historical narrative of Oregon. Understanding all aspects of Oregon’s history allows one to reckon with the past and have better conversations about the present.
* German Baptist Old People’s Home -In the 1920s, Portland had one of the largest German Baptist congregations in the United States and Canada-a religious group known for the emphasis they placed on retaining their use of the German language. One of the missions of the German Baptist church was to care for their local community and their elders and so the church’s leadership decided to raise funds for a state-of-the-art elder care facility that would be planned for future expansion. The first building for this facility was built in 1928, and subsequent building construction phases occurred in 1931, 1941, and 1950. In the Progressive Era of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, private elder care homes came about as a means of providing seniors with comfortable and dignified housing. These facilities provided meals, activities, social and religious connections, and varying degrees of caregiving and medical support.
* New Fliedner Building – The New Fliedner building is a 45,000-square-foot, five-story commercial building in downtown Portland. Originally built in 1906, it was re-designed in 1931 by local architect Richard Sundeleaf who gave it distinct Zig-Zag Moderne style on its street-facing fa?ades. This building is one of the few known local examples to illustrate this style of architecture in the city.
* Postal Employee Credit Union -Constructed in 1962 by architects John W. Reese and Frank E. Blachly, the Postal Employee Credit Union is an excellent example of a banking building designed in the International Style with elements of Northwest Regionalism – a local variant of the Modernism movement. Following World War II, bank architecture underwent a considerable design shift in response to multiple factors including new bank legislation and a booming postwar economy. Financial institutions embraced the language of Modernism more readily than other building types as a way of casting off long-held public perception that banks were traditional and stuffy. Modernism was a form of passive advertising for banks, demonstrating a new business model that emphasized openness and friendly convenience to a growing middleclass customer base. With its progressive design, auto-accessible convenience, and welcoming light-filled interior, the Postal Employees Credit Union embodied the features of a quintessential modern bank building from the mid-century period.
* Forest Grove Downtown Historic District – The Forest Grove Downtown Historic District is located at the heart of the City of Forest Grove. The approximately 9.2-acre district is a commercial area composed of one-to-three-story buildings of primarily brick and concrete construction and roughly bounded by 1 parcel north of 21st Ave, Ash St, 19th St, and A St. This cohesive commercial district represents the business history of Forest Grove and reflect this era of development in small towns and neighborhoods in Oregon and beyond. The district comprises 39 properties constructed between circa 1890 and 1990, with the vast majority of the buildings having been constructed in the last decade of the 19th century and the first three decades of the 20th century. The largest number of buildings that are still extant today were constructed in the 1920s. The Forest Grove Downtown Historic District is the 4th historic district in Forest Grove to be listed in the National Register.
* Riverside Park (NPS) in Grants Pass – Established in 1906 following the donation of land to the City, Riverside Park was the first large public recreation open-space in Grants Pass and almost immediately became a focal point for a variety of community recreation and events. Located on the bank of the Rogue River, the park’s initial focus on the water and swimming was enhanced by the development of specific amenities including a boathouse and swimming hole, and slowly augmented by additional features, including a band stand, picnic areas, and expanded lawns, groves of trees, and other plantings. Nearly twenty-five acres in size, the park is characterized by groves of pines, firs, cedars, and other mature trees, some pre-dating the park development, large lawns used for a variety of community events and picnicking, and sports fields. Created during the “City Beautiful” era, Riverside Park marks a major milestone in the city’s development and growth into a mature community that could, and did, provide a broad range of public amenities to its citizenry. Riverside Park is the 27th individual property in Grants Pass to be listed in the National Register, and the first listing since June 2005.
The National Register is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966. More information about the National Register and recent Oregon listings are online at oregonheritage.org (listed under “Designate”).
Properties listed in the National Register are:
* Recognized as significant to the nation, state, or community;
* Considered in the planning of federal or federally assisted projects;
* Eligible for federal and state tax benefits;
* Qualify for historic preservation grants when funds are available;
* Eligible for leniency in meeting certain building code requirements;
* Subject to local laws pertaining to the conservation and protection of historic resources.
National Register listing does not place any restrictions on a property at the state or federal level, unless property owners choose to participate in tax benefit or grant programs.