What is the Hometown Tap? The City of Hillsboro Water Department debuted its sustainable refillable bottle station, the Hillsboro Hometown Tap at Celebrate Hillsboro in July 2010. On that more than 90 degree day, over 5,000 people used the Tap station to stay hydrated with chilled drinking water. The Tap, including the innovative water chilling system, was designed and built by Water Department operators. The public is encouraged to bring refillable water bottles to summer events in Downtown Hillsboro. Use of the Hometown Tap has kept thousands of single-use water bottles away from the landfill.
In 2020, the Hometown Tap will be installed for the spring through fall farmer’s market and festival season. A more substantial kiosk will provide the water.
An artist will be selected to create artwork for the front of the Tap. The artwork can be in any medium. The artwork should include the Tualatin River as the drinking water source and incorporate downtown Hillsboro into the graphic.
The commission to the artist is $1,000, inclusive of all costs to design the artwork. Reproduction costs will be paid by the City. All artists in Oregon and SW Washington are welcome to apply.
Artists should not submit a design at this point. Artists should submit up to 4 images of past artwork. After the artist is chosen, they will be asked to create work specifically for the Hometown Tap. The artists will be given the proportions, and their artwork will be reproduced to fit the Hometown Tap.
Selected artists will receive a fee of $1,000 to create the design which will become the property of the City of Hillsboro.
The competition is open to artists of all ages living in Oregon and Southwest Washington. Artists in the Hillsboro area are especially encouraged to apply. The City of Hillsboro is committed to reflecting the diversity and cultural richness of our city in the selection of artists and artworks.
- Send up to 4 images of past work. JPEG images are preferred, but photographic prints will be accepted. Submit JPEG images no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side. Images should be labeled with the artist’s last name and the number (Smith1, Smith2, etc.)
- Image list. Description of each image with the title, medium and dimensions
- Resume or brief bio
- Contact information including e-mail, address and telephone.
January 13, 2020 Submission Deadline
January 23, 2020 Artists Notified of Selection
February 18, 2020 Design for the Hometown Tap submitted
- Applications must be received by online entry form, mail or hand delivered by Monday, January 13, 2020, 8 pm (Pacific Time).
- Online entry form available here
- Mail or hand delivery to: Walters Cultural Arts Center, 527 E Main, Hillsboro, OR 97123
WE’RE HERE TO HELP!
For questions, contact:
LeAnn Alsop |Cultural Art Division | www.Hillsboro-Oregon.gov/CulturalArts