On behalf of the Hillsboro Arts and Culture Endowment, the City of Hillsboro Cultural Arts Division invites professional artists or artist teams to apply for the Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project. Community engagement is at the heart of this artistic project, which is open to all creative practices including, but not limited to: visual and performing arts, literary arts, cultural arts, architecture, film, culinary arts, gaming, photography/photojournalism, creative technology, craft and folk traditions, woodworking, design, music and fabric arts. The total 2018 project funding, including artist stipend and materials is $5,000.
The selected artist or artist team, having made significant contributions to their work as an artist(s) and known for their ability to engage the community, will implement creative, inclusive and community-engaged projects, activities and/or events throughout Hillsboro. Through their creative practice, they will inspire Hillsboro individuals, organizations, businesses and creative communities; reflect upon the richness and diversity of the people, locations and traditions of Hillsboro; and share those experiences with the broader Hillsboro community.
The Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project should produce an outcome suitable for a broad general audience of all ages including young children (PG rated), and be appropriate for presentation in public and government facilities. This includes outcomes such as, but not limited to, a temporary installation(s), recording, digital collection, creative collaboration, exhibition(s), performance(s), or community experience(s) that can be shared and celebrated with the public.
Through the City of Hillsboro’s core values, the Cultural Arts Division supports arts and culture in the community by respecting diverse ideas and voices, emphasizing innovation, and providing excellent public service to enhance Hillsboro’s hometown livability.
Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project Goals
– Provide opportunities for multiple and diverse segments of the community to directly engage in creative practices and processes.
* Inspire/encourage residents in their creative endeavors and personal expression
* Bring attention to the arts in less traditional settings
– Raise awareness of arts and culture in Hillsboro
* Spotlight the important role individual artists play in contributing to a vibrant and creative community.
* Initiate conversations between local artists, cultural organizations, and community institutions about the value of arts and culture.
* Contribute to potential placemaking and civic pride.
* Promote arts and culture in the community
The Hillsboro Arts & Culture Endowment and the City of Hillsboro will provide:
– $5000 to cover artist stipend, materials and supplies from July – October 2018
– Assist in connecting artist or artist team with arts organizations, schools, community organizations, and Hillsboro programs and venues;
– Utilize city website, arts calendar, and social media to track and archive the experience, make announcements, and promote Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community culmination during 2018 October Arts Month.
The Artist will:
– Commit to engaging community members in creative experiences;
– Deliver the selected proposal within the Hillsboro Artist-in-our-Community Project timeline and budget;
– Provide regular progress updates to staff;
– Be available to speak with the media;
– Act as an advocate of the Hillsboro Arts and Culture Endowment; and
– Understake a culminating presentation during Hillsboro Arts Month in October 2018, including a screening, exhibition, performance, community event, and/or public talk.
Deadline: Monday, March 12, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
For more information, visit: http://hillsboro-oregon.gov/ArtsEndowment