BEAVERTON CITY PARK FOUNTAIN CELEBRATION 2022
The City of Beaverton is seeking proposals from visual artists, performing artists, art educators and multi-disciplinary artists to submit qualifications and a letter of interest to create engaging activations, installations and experiences for a public audience in an open-air environment during the opening celebration of the updated City Park Fountain in Beaverton, OR on May 7th , 2022.
The City Park Fountain, originally installed in 1999, has undergone an exciting renovation which includes music, lights, and sophisticated waterworks. Our event on May 7 th will be the Grand Opening of the newly renovated fountain. We will host various performances and activities throughout the day for all ages to celebrate our updated landmark. The City of Beaverton cares about the health and safety of its residents, employees, and performers and reserves the right to impose COVID-related safety rules during this event, which may include, but are not limited to, vaccination, testing, and masking.
- MON, FEB 14: Call to artist opens
- MON, MAR 14: Deadline for artists to apply electronically, by 5 PM, PST
- Early APRIL: Selected Artists Notified
- SAT, MAY 7: Celebration Event | 4-8PM
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Loosely, we are asking artists to respond to a general thematic backdrop of play, water, enjoyment of parks and open spaces, and community engagement with a focus on young and family audiences/participants. We would like to hear from you about what you imagine for this event. We encourage artists and performers of all disciplines to consider this opportunity if your work aligns with the following:
- Creating interactive and fun spaces for people to enjoy
- Roving and/or playful performances
- Social practice engagements or activities that focus on creating a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere while learning about your community and your neighbors in a kid- friendly format
- Performative storytelling
- Non-amplified vocal and instrumental music that is festive, possibly freestyle/roaming and appeals to young people
- Musical theatre vignettes
- Temporary installations that are participatory and fun i.e. large, handmade puzzles, light or sound-based sculptures, kinetic artworks that can be easily installed/de-installed in one day, etc.
- Art-making with easy to use mediums, recycled materials, educational in nature
COMPENSATION, ARTIST REQUIREMENTS & ELIGIBILITY
Each individual or group will receive up to $1,000 plus cost of materials, if applicable. Payment terms will be established based on the nature and complexity of activity, installation, etc. We will be selecting 3-5 artists or groups. Applicants must live in the greater Portland-Metro area to be eligible. Washington County based artists are encouraged to apply.
DEADLINE to apply is Monday, March 14, 2022, 5 PM, PST
- Written description of your proposed activation, engagement, performance, etc. Please provide a clear description that includes all materials and conditions required in order to produce and whether it is existing work or new work you will be creating specifically for this event. Optional: include sketches or photos that better help illustrate your narrative concept.
- Please limit description to no more than 250 words
- Resume or biography, no longer than 2 pages, in pdf format attached to your online application.
- If work is performance-based, links to videos of previous public performances
- If work samples you are submitting are longer than 2-minutes in length, please identify the time range you would like us to review.
- The selection committee finds it very helpful if the web link contains work that was done in a public, outdoor environment with a family-friendly atmosphere.