The “Foundations” project consists of conceptualization, preparation, and execution of a Mural on the west facing wall of the Yamhill County Housing Authority building, facing the train tracks.
– Create an approachable art piece attractive to locals and visitors
– Add visual interest and culture to a colorless area
– Be highly visible from a distance
– Improve wayfinding between McMinnville’s historic downtown and the Granary District, and encourage foot traffic between the two areas across the train tracks
We wish for the Mural to be representative and respectful of the history of the McMinnville area and create a sense of place. This location runs parallel to train tracks and directly across from a historical train station, and it is the halfway point between our historic downtown core and the Granary District (an up-and-coming makers’ district full of wineries, tasting rooms, restaurants, breweries, and shopping). It is a prominent location in the heart of our City, located at a crossroads between our history and our future. It will serve as an important part of the landscape for years to come. Submissions should reflect the themes above.
NOTE: This project is the second of a series of Mural installations planned over the coming 3-5 years and is intended to be a first in a series leading from the Historic Downtown to the Granary District.
– McMinnville Downtown Association Committee for Public Art (MDACPA) – Visit McMinnville (VM)
– Yamhill County Housing Authority
– Final Selected Artist
All applications will be reviewed and juried to help ensure the quality of the project and suitability of the concept to public art and to the City. Both solo artists and teams of artists will be considered for the project.
To be considered, each of the following must be included with the Artist/s application:
- Current personal resume of the Artist/s (maximum 2 pages per artist).
- Images of prior Murals completed by the Artist/s, not more than 10 pages.
- Full contact information for the Artist/s.
- A minimum of 1, but no more than 6 images or sketches, of each proposed Mural may be submitted.
- All images submitted must be labeled with name of Mural and the Artist/s, so as to avoid confusion.
- Please include a master list of images if the application includes more than one proposed finished Mural.
- The intended color pallet of the Mural.
- An estimated budget for the proposed project.
In the case of multiple submissions, each proposed Mural will be judged on its own merits. Applications must be submitted to BOTH of the following email addresses:
Applications must be submitted no later than 5:00 PM, June 11, 2021.
From these applications, one to four finalists will be selected and notified. The selected finalists will receive a stipend of $ 500.00 to develop a finished proposal, including their proposed budget. The final proposals will be due no later than July 16, 2021. These proposals will be reviewed by our selection committee. Each submitting finalist Artist/s will have an individual Artist/s meeting with the selection committee to present and explain their proposed Mural. This will lead to the selection of the Artist/s to create the Mural. The final selection is intended to be complete by July 30, 2021.
A maximum budget of $20,000 is available for the completion of this project. Included within this amount must be all necessary materials and supplies, equipment (such as scaffolding, ladders, drop cloths, etc.), workman’s compensation and liability insurance, transportation to and from site, as well as any necessary artist lodging and meals during the duration of the project.
For the full Call to Artists, visit https://visitmcminnville.com/wp-content/uploads/2021-McMinnville-Mural-Call-for-Artists.pdf.