Annual Salary: $62,668 – $82,467
Starting Salary: $62,668 – $76,246 depending on qualifications
Terms: Full-time, exempt position with benefits
Close: 11:59 p.m., May 17, 2021
In the City of Hillsboro we believe that Public Art is an essential foundation in creating a community that is proud to call Hillsboro home. Our Public Art Program began with City Council completing the Public Art Master Plan in 2008 and the hiring of staff in 2011. Fast- forward to 2021, our Public Art collection has grown to over 80 pieces with several new artworks currently in process. Seated in the Cultural Arts Division of the Park & Recreation Department, the goal of our Public Art Program is to activate the City with memorable places that make our entire community feel welcome, inspired, and connected.
That’s where you come in!
The City of Hillsboro is currently seeking a Public Art Supervisor to oversee and steward the City’s Public Art Program. This program includes: artworks for public spaces, temporary public art community engagement and place-making projects, rotating art on loan exhibits, and a growing permanent collection located throughout the City. This position reports to the Cultural Arts Manager and supervises part-time support staff in our gallery program and shares part-time support staff with the Community Arts Supervisor.
The City of Hillsboro is the most racially and ethnically diverse large city in the region. This strength of cultural richness necessitates that Public Art at the City of Hillsboro be reflective of our whole community, particularly racial and ethnic groups who have historically been excluded from representation in community art spaces, installations, and events.
The Public Art Supervisor’s portfolio includes:
- Developing professional calls for, and commissioning artworks from local and national artists,
- Coordinating artist selection processes,
- Contracting and project budget administration,
- Working with construction schedules,
- Developing goals, policies, and priorities in the specialized area of public art,
- Preparing outreach and education materials,
- Holding public dedications and representing the Public Art program in community meetings,
- Managing project budgets, selection through installation processes, schedules, and payments; and providing updates to internal and external stakeholders,
- Identifying various funding sources for public art including researching and writing of draft grant proposals to support public art projects when appropriate,
- Developing and implementing systems for the collection, maintenance, conservation and evaluation of works of art.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
Bachelor’s degree in art, arts administration, art history, architecture, landscape architecture, construction management or closely related field and 3 years of public art administration and/or programming experience including 2 years of supervisory experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
This announcement was originally posted on https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/hillsboro/jobs/3051860/public-art-supervisor?page=4&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs.