Submit creative, original posters showing your favorite walks or rides in Hillsboro!
Looking for an at-home activity for kids this spring?
All Hillsboro kindergarten through eighth grade students are invited to participate in a City of Hillsboro Safe Routes to School Program Poster Contest, while practicing physical distancing and learning remotely!
The City is looking for creative, original posters that either show students’ favorite walks or rides (bike, scooter, skateboard) in Hillsboro.
Students can enter to win prizes and have their artwork featured on future Safe Routes to School advertisements and at a City building.
- Kindergarten through 8th grade students living within the City of Hillsboro, or attending a school in the Hillsboro School District.
- Submit original artwork showing your favorite walk or favorite ride.
- Use 8.5-inch x 11-inch paper, landscape-position.
- Draw or use a digital program to make the art piece.
- If hand drawn, use marking pens, colored pencils, acrylic or poster paint, watercolors, or crayons.
- Use lots of colors to make the artwork bright and colorful.
- Keep words to a minimum.
- Show proper safety skills, such as wearing helmets and crossing at intersections or crosswalks. Additional safety tips for pedestrians, bicyclists, drivers, and school bus riders are available online.
When & Where
- Submit art between 8 am on Monday, May 4, and 5 pm on Friday, May 29, 2020.
- Art can be submitted online, or by mail to:
City of Hillsboro Public Works Department
Attn: SRTS Poster Contest
4415 NE 30th Avenue
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124
If mailed, please include the student’s name, age, grade, school, parent/guardian name, and phone number on the back of the artwork, or include a separate piece of paper with this information in the envelope (if you are interested in receiving a small participation gift, please include an address as well).
- Entries will be judged on best expression of theme, poster design, creativity, and artistic skill.
- One walk winner and one ride winner will be awarded for each age group (Grades K-3, 4-6, and 7-8).
- All winners will receive a new art kit and fun safety accessories!
- Winners will be announced by Wednesday, July 1, 2020.
- Delivery of prizes will occur after social distancing guidelines are removed or after Wednesday, July 15, 2020, whichever is later.
- Art could be featured on Safe Routes to School posters or flyers, City webpages, and more.
By entering the contest, the entrant accepts and agrees to the above rules and the decision of the judges, which shall be final. All entries will become property of the City of Hillsboro, and may be used in other promotions without further permission or compensation to the artists.
The City of Hillsboro may request original copies of winning art. If submitting online, please keep original art until at least July 1, 2020. The artist’s parent/guardian will be contacted, if originals are needed.
Please contact the Hillsboro Safe Routes to School Program at 503-681-6146 or by email.
This announcement was originally shared by the City of Hillsboro.