a #TimesUp/#MeToo adaptation of Shakespeare’s play
written and directed by Sara Fay Goldman
Opens 7pm on Friday, July 6, 2018 at the Beaverton Public Library South Lawn
Runs weekends until August 12, 2018 at the Lawn and West Side Wineries
Experience Theatre Project, Beaverton’s only resident professional theatre company, proudly presents its 3rd annual pay-what-you-will summer production of The Taming And The Shrew: A #TimesUp/#MeToo Adaptation of William Shakespeare’s play. The play opens at 7pm on July 6, 2018 on the Beaverton Public Library south lawn, and will perform at the Library lawn on Saturday and Sunday, July 7-8 at 2pm, then again the following weekend, Friday, July 13 at 7pm, and Saturday-Sunday, July 14-15, at 2pm before embarking on an outdoor “wine tour” of Washington County wineries, concluding its tour in Yamhill County, at Stoller Vineyards, on August 12.
“It is a kind of history,” says adaptor and director Sara Fay Goldman. “The adaptation also takes a political stance in relation to the Women’s Movement, but I want to take back the funny. The plan is to keep the same ingredients, but update the recipe. At its premier, Shrew was probably more than funny – feminist social satire protected by a thin veil of patriarchy. Men in wigs, violence – hilarious. I am not here to fix the play – I am simply looking to embrace the current context and look it squarely in the eye and see if we can make it funny again.”
The Full Schedule is as follows:
- Friday, July 6 and 13 at 7pm; Saturday, July 7 and 14 at 2pm; Sunday, July 8 and 15 at 2pm, at the Beaverton Public Liibrary South Lawn, 12375 SW 5th Street, Beaverton; beavertonlibrary.org
- Friday, July 20 at 5pm; Saturday, July 21 at 5pm; Sunday, July 22 at 4pm, at HELVETIA WINERY, 23269 NW Yungen Rd., Hillsboro, OR; helvetiawinery.com
- Friday, July 27 at 7pm; Saturday, July 28 at 7pm; Sunday, July 29 at 5pm, at ARDIRI WINERY & VINEYARDS, 35040 SW Unger Rd. Cornelius, OR; ardiriwine.com
- Friday, August 3 at 7:30pm; Saturday, August 4 at 7:30pm; Sunday, August 5, at 6:30pm at A BLOOMING HILL WINERY, 5195 SW Hergert Rd., Cornelius, OR; abloominghillvineyard.com
- Friday, August 10 at 7pm; Saturday, August 11 at 2pm; Sunday, August 12, at 2pm at STOLLER ESTATE, 16161 NE McDougall Rd, Dayton, OR 97114; stollerfamilyestate.com
MORE INFORMATION: All shows are pay-what-you-will – a $10 donation per person encouraged. All shows are all ages. No outside alcoholic beverages permitted at any winery location. People are encouraged to arrive early and bring low back chairs and picnics to enjoy this outdoor play at all locations. Umbrellas and shade canopies permitted at library lawn location. Parking and space is limited at winery locations. We encourage making advance reservations at ETP’s website for winery dates to ensure seating. Online reservations available for a donation; free tickets available as space allows each weekend. Ticket availability at wineries will be updated on Theatre’s social media channels and at our website. All winery locations will include fundraising drawing opportunities, from hotel stays to special bottles of reserve wines from each vineyard.
A full schedule, plus wine and food packages, and reservations may be made at our website starting May 20, 2018 at www.experiencetheatreproject.org.
Taming And The Shrew stars Kaia Hillier, Michael C. Jordan, Eva Andrews, Catherine Miller, Colin Trevor, Kelsea Ashenbrenner, Emilie Landmann, and Jacquelle Davis. Directed by Sara Fay Goldman; costume design by Hannah Edelson; Set by Winston Bischof; fight choreography by Kristen Mun; and production manager is Chris Beatty. Artistic Director is Alisa Stewart.